During this session, PSE has worked with the HCA (Health Care Authority) and WEA (Washington Education Association) to push through a bill to implement SEBB (School Employee Benefit Board) by January 1, 2020. SB 6241 was approved late last night on a party line vote of 50-48. It is not uncommon for major pieces of legislation like last year’s SEBB bill, HB 2242, to be perfected in future years. Now we wait for Governor Inslee’s signature on the bill.
Examples of some of the changes approved last night:
- Clarifies that the employee to family premium share will be 3:1 not 1:1 (employees who sign up for full family coverage pay $3 for each $1 single employees pay for premiums.)
- HCA will get current data from insurance companies 8 months earlier.
- School districts will be able to pay for optional benefits not covered by SEBB.
- Employees who work less than 630 hours are eligible for SEBB if bargained with the district.
- 2018-19 school year insurance plans are allowed to go beyond the 12 month limitation in order to conclude by December 31, 2019.