Senator Mark Mullet, along with Senators Takko and Hobbs, has sponsored their own solution to the McCleary Supreme Court decision. SB 5825 is an attempt to be a midpoint between the House and Senate solutions (see earlier entries on HB 1843 and SB 5607).
According to Senator Mullet it would:
1) Every district would have permanent local levies.
2) Doubling of LEA (local effort assistance).
3) Districts can go out for an extra $1,000 per pupil in excess levies but they must submit to OSPI a plan to ensure they are not for basic education.
4) Per Pupil model that is a hybrid approach that still uses some prototypical school inputs.
5) Starting teacher salary of $45k
6) Universal hold harmless clause – nobody can go backwards.
7) Guarantees $11,500 per pupil between state and local (we exclude the federal part as we have no control over those dollars)
Though the bill may not get a hearing, it is likely to affect some of the discussions from this point forward.